Author Topic: Women on DDO  (Read 10257 times)

Offline donsteeves

• Dungeons & Dragons
Women on DDO
« on: February 26, 2010, 11:01:08 AM »
Omega has it's first female member. Welcome Andi. Also, I ran with a woman from Southern Australia yesterday. We had a fairly nice chat, and something came up that has decided to make me wax philosophical. Votre Coeur told me she had recently been stalked in the game by someone that she had to squelch. This person also sent her many emails of an inappropriate nature. He is not the only stalker she has dealt with. She has also had numerous arguments with idiots who have told her girls have no business playing this game. I have heard some complaints like this from other females I have met as well. I even had one myself when some idiot newbie mistakenly believed that Gypsy was being played by a woman. He told me woman shouldn't be allowed on a computer.

There are relatively few females playing this game, and some of the reason for that may be traced to a minority of sexist or delusional fools who harrass them. Let's all remember that the girls are online to have fun playing the game, just as we are, not to pander to our sexual fantasies. Also, let us support Andi and any other female members who may join, reporting harrassment to DDO as a united group.

Offline samagination

• Dungeons & Dragons
Re: Women on DDO
« Reply #1 on: February 26, 2010, 12:14:10 PM »
word.

but who gives their email address to stalkers? not judging... just saying...

Offline donsteeves

• Dungeons & Dragons
« Reply #2 on: February 26, 2010, 02:44:09 PM »
Her game email, I believe. I can send you an email care of zaltron, telling you how much I love you, if I want.

Offline samagination

• Dungeons & Dragons
« Reply #3 on: February 26, 2010, 08:56:35 PM »
ahh right

that makes sense

why don't you send me those kinds of mails?

Offline donsteeves

• Dungeons & Dragons
« Reply #4 on: February 27, 2010, 12:47:59 AM »
You have such good responses....but the picture has a moustache. (Old Cream tune)

Offline Rumbaar

• Future Fight
  • Inherent Omniscience
    • rumbaar.net
« Reply #5 on: February 27, 2010, 09:17:18 AM »
I can't even imagine how someone can have a go at a person, let alone a female, telling them they have no business playing a game.  But yes, if there are issues I am in total agreement that our support is mandatory.

Offline Aravok

• Dungeons & Dragons
« Reply #6 on: February 27, 2010, 04:04:10 PM »
I think there's more males who shouldnt be playing this game then females, if anyone shouldnt be playing....

Offline Rei

• Matrix Online, the
  • Moderatrix
« Reply #7 on: March 03, 2010, 07:11:59 AM »
May be the first female OS in DDO, but not the first female OS ;)
While I can't speak for how it's like in DDO, I've had some similar experiences in some of the other games I've played.  Even if they do believe that the female avatar is played by a female IRL, you still get a fair bit of attitude like that and then for some reason you become a magnet for all the weirdo stalkers out there who feel the need to latch onto you because you're not the norm.  Ahh well.. I think you get that wherever you are though.  The key is finding a great group like the OS to run with.  Great to hear she found her way here.

I've actually been contemplating checking out DDO for a while now.  I haven't played Aion in probably close to 2 months and I'm not too keen to get into another game where I'm going to have to pay $15+ a month play. 
Who knows, you may see me in there at some point :)

Offline Rumbaar

• Future Fight
  • Inherent Omniscience
    • rumbaar.net
« Reply #8 on: March 03, 2010, 08:00:48 AM »
Well remember it's free to download and play, there is a lot of free content up to at least Level 10-13.  It's a nice try before you buy, and would love to see you in game.  One or two other past OS'ers have tried, but alas I don't think they had the time or it was for them.

Offline Fernas

• Dungeons & Dragons
« Reply #9 on: March 03, 2010, 03:32:17 PM »
i've played a girl toon in AO for years and years, never had a problem.  i must just give off "dude" vibes.
I'm in this for the Experience, not the XP.