Author Topic: Allods - looking for a crew  (Read 14851 times)

Offline Fernas

• Dungeons & Dragons
Allods - looking for a crew
« on: April 14, 2010, 05:41:06 AM »
Not really, not just yet, but soon hopefully.

I've got to make a confession, I've got a weakness for "free" Korean MMO's and the gpotato site has some of the best.  I've played Rappelz and Flyff and, while fun, they didn't have what I needed to keep me interested.  This new one may change that.

http://allods.gpotato.com/

See, at higher levels you get a ship, and that ship needs a crew.  Its not like Pirates of the Burning Seas or Star Trek Online where your crew is a bunch of NPC losers, you need real people for your crew.  There's a bunch of stations like navigation, cannons, lookout, engines, repair and they all need real people to run them.  This is what I've been waiting for in so many games but was disappointed.

Now, the rest of the game is a pretty standard WoW clone, and I can't stand WoW, so it remains to be seen if the ship/crew aspect will be enough to keep me hooked.  But if it does, I can't think of anyone I'd rather have on board with my than the crews I've already served with on HvCs.  :)
I'm in this for the Experience, not the XP.

Offline Rumbaar

• Future Fight
  • Inherent Omniscience
    • rumbaar.net
Re: Allods - looking for a crew
« Reply #1 on: April 16, 2010, 09:52:50 AM »
The site looks impressive, that's for sure.  I can't say I've checked out any other Free MMO's other than D&D Online.

The idea of having key members and guild that actually has to work together sounds very interesting.  I wonder how it handles different timezones, etc?  Does everyone have to be on all the time and at the same time?

Offline Fernas

• Dungeons & Dragons
« Reply #2 on: April 17, 2010, 07:15:53 AM »
to crew the ship, yes.  otherwise its just like any other mmo.

Offline Rumbaar

• Future Fight
  • Inherent Omniscience
    • rumbaar.net
« Reply #3 on: April 17, 2010, 09:58:55 AM »
So if you have no crew on at the time you cannot do anything?

Offline Fernas

• Dungeons & Dragons
« Reply #4 on: April 17, 2010, 10:56:26 AM »
i imagine you grab a pickup crew.

Offline Aravok

• Dungeons & Dragons
« Reply #5 on: April 25, 2010, 07:35:58 PM »
Just starting to have a look, seems ok from here so far... but what faction would you like?  ???

Offline Aravok

• Dungeons & Dragons
« Reply #6 on: April 25, 2010, 08:28:43 PM »
Just downloading it, lloks like it's gonna be a while on my slow connection. Some interesting points to both factions... might see how they play before I make any permanent decision. That and it'd be interesting to hear what you guys think if you give it a shot....

Offline Fernas

• Dungeons & Dragons
« Reply #7 on: April 27, 2010, 11:43:33 AM »
i'd prefer to be empire, but my buddy started on the other side so i'm playing a Kanian.

so far its a pretty straightforward WoW clone.  I'm really waiting to give a judgement until i can get to the Astral battles.  that will be a bit the way I play.

Offline Aravok

• Dungeons & Dragons
« Reply #8 on: April 29, 2010, 01:19:11 AM »
Yeah, I dont have the best connection and my speed got shaped half way through the download coz I past my limit.... as a result I have to wait like a week before my speed gets back to normal. That or it'll probably take me a week to download it anyway  >:(

Had a look and have some interest in both sides myself. Cant wait to see how it plays... I didnt mind WoW but it was a little repetetive and too gear focused for my liking... that and it was very hard to get decent parties together last I played so I hope this is a little better.

Offline samagination

• Dungeons & Dragons
« Reply #9 on: April 29, 2010, 09:31:00 PM »
I'll be checking out the empire I think.

Installing tonight.

Let me know how you go on the other side. I imagine a lot of the archetypes play very similar regardless of faction.

Will be interesting to check this out. I've not been a fan of any of the other free mmo's. DDO doesn't count... took years for that to become free.

ATM i'm playing vanguard again. I have 3 accounts for that game, but just one active for now. Let me know if anyone wants to have a look.
« Last Edit: April 29, 2010, 09:41:42 PM by samagination »

Offline Fernas

• Dungeons & Dragons
« Reply #10 on: May 01, 2010, 02:31:25 PM »
the only empire i've played is the Arisen Mentalist, plays almost exactly the same as its Gibberling counterpart.
« Last Edit: May 02, 2010, 04:10:18 PM by Fernas »

Offline Rumbaar

• Future Fight
  • Inherent Omniscience
    • rumbaar.net
« Reply #11 on: May 02, 2010, 08:47:43 AM »
As a note a specific section can be created for the MMO, if you want/need a place for guild members to participate.

Offline Aravok

• Dungeons & Dragons
« Reply #12 on: May 07, 2010, 07:28:07 PM »
What server you trying btw??? I've started a couple chars on Tensess....  so far so good anyway, took me a little to work the controls out, rearranged them to be a bit more like DDO in the end as thats what I tend to of played.

Offline Fernas

• Dungeons & Dragons
« Reply #13 on: May 12, 2010, 01:18:39 PM »
i'm on Tenesses too, i think.

first thing i do in every MMO is remap the keyboard.  they're nearly all set up for wasd, which i think is silly.  my hands stay on the home row keys, for typing purposed.  so i remap to esdf.  also, this allows your pinky to hit a whole other row of keys, opening up command mapping possibilites.  and i don't have to shift my left hand to type.