Author Topic: Aion  (Read 20165 times)

Offline Rei

• Matrix Online, the
  • Moderatrix
Aion
« on: August 18, 2009, 07:53:08 AM »
Wanted to post some screenies taken in this weekends AION Beta event.  Figured I'd post em here though so I wouldn't have to worry about any Eula issues. 

Seriously, this game is beautiful.  The flight system once you hit lvl 10 is amazingly fun and opens up this whole new aspect of game play and combat that is unparalleled.  There's actually some strategy involved in aerial combat as you can manouver in every direction while fighting which give you bonuses and effect your moves.  Much more then just the semi-static back and forth combat everyone's used to. 

Here's a nice little video about the lore and background of Aion that gives some really great combat and flight shots.  Lani Blazier, who essentialy created this game and the lore and story behind it, is way too good looking to be a game designer, lol.  If you click on the little video thumbnail, third from the left, the picture of the character holding a blue ball of energy, you'll see the Aion: World & Lore video.

Anyways, here are a few shots I took, and I included a few that a friend of mine took as his computer is much better then mine.  The first few were in Asmodae, the dark side of the game world, Atreia, the last two were taken in the light side, Elysea.  I tried to give a good mix of different areas, though I didn't take many screenshots before they shut the servers down, too busy playing.

My Asmodian character, Treia

In flight..

And the following were all taken by a friend of mine..

These next two were taken in one of the the main cities of Elysea. 

« Last Edit: August 18, 2009, 03:26:29 PM by Rei »

Offline Inhumancode

• Matrix Online, the
Re: Aion
« Reply #1 on: August 18, 2009, 06:52:43 PM »
Holy shit!
That looks god damned sexy.
Seriously considering picking this one up. Don't know if I can afford two MMOs at once though haha, got some difficult decisions ahead.

Is the flight like free roam or just a combat based thing?

Offline Rei

• Matrix Online, the
  • Moderatrix
« Reply #2 on: August 19, 2009, 02:26:41 AM »
Though you can't fly in every area, like the major cities, you can in the majority of the outlying areas.  You can glide everywhere however, if you're up high or going downhill which is pretty cool.  Hehe, even if you're not in a flight supported area, running up and jumping off the edge of a cliff and just gliding around the valley below is pretty neat, and you can find updrafts here and there which will give you an altitude boost to keep you going longer.  And yea, if you're in an area where you can fly it is free roam, there's usually lots of ledges and high points you can find and land on and sit for a bit and enjoy the scenery if you want. 
« Last Edit: August 19, 2009, 02:48:44 AM by Rei »

Offline Rei

• Matrix Online, the
  • Moderatrix
« Reply #3 on: August 28, 2009, 04:58:16 PM »

Offline CloudWolf

• Matrix Online, the
« Reply #4 on: September 04, 2009, 10:40:58 PM »
Seriously looking forward to Open Beta this week.

Not sure how they're gonna handle EU/NA crossplay. I hear you're gonna have to have a seperate account if you want to get on the other region's servers, which would mean double the sub, which would be double the suck.

Offline Rei

• Matrix Online, the
  • Moderatrix
« Reply #5 on: September 05, 2009, 04:45:03 PM »
Apparently you will be able to have your choice of servers on launch, EU and NA.  Though because of the distances involved, there's probably going to be some lag if you are on one of the other servers.  I don't know how bad it would be though, might be worth checking out the differences in open beta.

Offline CloudWolf

• Matrix Online, the
« Reply #6 on: September 07, 2009, 10:54:59 PM »
Currently only getting access to EU Open Beta servers, if I try and connect to the NA version it moans that my username/password don't match.

Offline Rei

• Matrix Online, the
  • Moderatrix
« Reply #7 on: September 08, 2009, 04:09:11 AM »
Aww... that sucks.  I haven't tried yet to make a char on one of the EU servers.  I might try today and see how it turns out.

Right now my main for OB is on the Nezekan server.  An Asmodian, Treia.  Though I'm going to be making an Elyos at some point on another server. As for which server I'm going to go for on launch.. I don't know.  I'm kinda waiting to see which server gets most of the WOW refugees.. then I'll pick one of the other ones  :D 

So far though.. way fun.  I seriously haven't had this much fun in a game in a looong time.  It's so well done and the flight / aerial combat system is amazing.

Offline Rei

• Matrix Online, the
  • Moderatrix
« Reply #8 on: September 10, 2009, 07:02:17 AM »
Just cause it's purdy ;)

Offline CloudWolf

• Matrix Online, the
« Reply #9 on: September 14, 2009, 04:06:14 AM »
Had fun playing an Asmo alt during Open Beta. Probably gonna roll one come live as well.

Looking at Spatalos (EU) and Gorgon (EU) as my ports of call.
« Last Edit: September 17, 2009, 03:40:00 AM by CloudWolf »

Offline Inhumancode

• Matrix Online, the
« Reply #10 on: September 14, 2009, 12:03:21 PM »

Offline Anubias

• Matrix Online, the
« Reply #11 on: September 14, 2009, 01:48:10 PM »
I have preordered Aion as well, and will be playing it in my spare time...I am rolling on Lumiel. :)

Offline Rei

• Matrix Online, the
  • Moderatrix
« Reply #12 on: September 15, 2009, 03:53:32 AM »
And the very last Beta comes to an end.  Only one more week though till the servers open up for real! ::cheers::

All in all what did you guys think about it?  Have fun?

I have preordered Aion as well, and will be playing it in my spare time...I am rolling on Lumiel. :)

Anu is that because the ARP community has picked Lumiel as their unofficial RP server?  I was thinking of going that one as well but then NCsoft announced that they are going to be holding polls on their site when it gets closer to launch so they can determine an official un-official RP server for the entire Aion RP community, both for NA and for EU. 
List of Aion Servers at Launch 
So depending on the results of that, the ARP community may or may not be still rolling on Lumiel.  I was going to wait and see the results of that before I decided on a server.

Offline Anubias

• Matrix Online, the
« Reply #13 on: September 15, 2009, 12:59:50 PM »
And the very last Beta comes to an end.  Only one more week though till the servers open up for real! ::cheers::

All in all what did you guys think about it?  Have fun?

It is fun.  I enjoyed hanging out with you Saturday night, and it was also promising to make a new friend that night.  Overall, the game's best feature (from what little I have seen) is the combat.  The combat is the most fun I have had in a while now. 

Anu is that because the ARP community has picked Lumiel as their unofficial RP server?  I was thinking of going that one as well but then NCsoft announced that they are going to be holding polls on their site when it gets closer to launch so they can determine an official un-official RP server for the entire Aion RP community, both for NA and for EU. 
List of Aion Servers at Launch 
So depending on the results of that, the ARP community may or may not be still rolling on Lumiel.  I was going to wait and see the results of that before I decided on a server.

Ah, I see.  Yes, I did some investigating and found out the majority of the RP community if Aion had chosen Lumiel as their server.  So, you are correct, this is why I was going to roll their as well.  After what you have said though, I will wait and see what the community decides on the official forums.  Regardless of where I roll, I hope we are on the same server Rei, and let's make sure that happens via these forums! :)

Now...I have visited the www.aiononline.com forums and the following is what is posted:

Welcome to Aion's beta forums!

Open beta has ended and the forums are now closed.

Please mark the following dates down in your calendar:
September 18 - Pre-selection September 20 - Preorder Headstart (NA + EU) September 22 - Release North America September 25 - Release Europe We have more in store for you; the journey that is Aion is just about to begin. Please stay tuned and visit www.aiononline.com often in order to catch future announcements and updates. Make sure to also pay a visit to our official fansite program for fellow Aion fans to mingle with.

We appreciate you stopping by, and look forward to seeing you again for release.

So where are these polls taking place?  Maybe they will open the forums back up before Thursday?

Here is the info on Pre-selection:

Aion's release is right around the corner, and our anticipation is running high! The beards and hairstyles of the character creator are groomed and lined up, jostling against each other in eagerness to be picked for your characters in this coming weekend's Preselection and Head Start Programs.

Preselection is a benefit available to anyone who preordered Aion. If you are not sure whether or not you are eligible, simply log in to your NCsoft Master Account to verify that your game account is listed and your account type is not designated as "Beta".

Starting 12:00 p.m. PDT (more) on September 18, 2009, eligible players will be able to start their game clients and log in to create a total of two characters ahead of everyone else. You can name and create these two characters through the standard character creator and be ready to play with these characters right when the game Head Start Program begins (but not beforehand). Preselection will end 9:00 a.m. PDT on September 20, 2009 (more).

Don't miss this great opportunity to claim your character's name before anyone else does. It isn't too late to preorder, even if you have been holding out.

Does the game servers will be opened sometime during the day on Sunday (after 9am, or perhaps 9am IS the launch hour)? or Sunday night at midnight (which doesnt make much sense to me)? ::Shrugs::
« Last Edit: September 15, 2009, 01:22:29 PM by Anubias »

Offline CloudWolf

• Matrix Online, the
« Reply #14 on: September 15, 2009, 08:01:13 PM »
One would hope they get the polls up before pre-select or people are gonna be a little lost as to which servers they should choose.

Oh and as for getting access to the NA servers, it depends on what Asu and Ija think but maybe when they have a free trial up I'll grab a NA account and see how things go.
« Last Edit: September 15, 2009, 08:03:50 PM by CloudWolf »