Author Topic: LOTRO Goes Free to Play  (Read 9911 times)

Offline CloudWolf

• Matrix Online, the
LOTRO Goes Free to Play
« on: June 09, 2010, 02:16:21 AM »
Title explains itself.

I know it did the world of good for D&D (of which a lot of you are fans), so I wonder, what are your opinions on the newly F2P LOTRO?

Offline Rei

• Matrix Online, the
  • Moderatrix
Re: LOTRO Goes Free to Play
« Reply #1 on: June 09, 2010, 07:25:15 AM »
Hmm.. free eh?  I kinda got bored of LOTRO back in the day but considering it wouldn't cost anything and I could still use my old characters I may just be tempted back in at some point to check it out. 

Is anyone even active in LOTRO still?

Offline Rumbaar

• Future Fight
  • Inherent Omniscience
    • rumbaar.net
« Reply #2 on: June 09, 2010, 07:52:09 AM »
Yes I saw this too.

There is a page that lists all the benefits and differences from FREE->Premium->VIP.  I see they had/have a lifetime sub option as well.

I've thought about checking it out, once it goes FREE.  I'm hoping that LOTRO will actually allow me to play an Elf Ranger who is an actual Ranger type character.

The population might be low, but like DDO once it went F2P the populations increased.  After the success of DDO F2P it was only a mater of time.

For a comparison of what you get from FREE->Premium->VIP
http://www.lotro.com/betasignup/vipchart.html
« Last Edit: June 09, 2010, 05:55:14 PM by Rumbaar »

Offline McBain

• Dungeons & Dragons
  • The only constant in life is change.
« Reply #3 on: June 16, 2010, 02:36:26 PM »
O rly? hmmm

Offline Zenii

• Matrix Online, the
« Reply #4 on: September 17, 2010, 12:47:08 AM »
hmm still deciding if i should give it a shot, did the beta or trial and didn't like it lol. well i did but i lagged terrible back then. still same pc but upgraded the cpu so it might work better this time. so need more hard drive space x.x

Offline Rumbaar

• Future Fight
  • Inherent Omniscience
    • rumbaar.net
« Reply #5 on: September 18, 2010, 06:30:04 PM »
Well it's finally gone public F2P, after downloading a whopping ~10GB installer got it running.

The graphics look crisp, but the game itself and combat seems very boring.  Right-click target, wait for it to die.

One benefit is that as my Turbine Account I use with DDO is premium status I was able to get an activation key from Turbine and add access to LoTRO to that account and also have premium status perks over there.  Which is 3 characters per server and 5 gold, but from 2 characters and 1 gold limit for FREE players.