Author Topic: Why go VIP?  (Read 7876 times)

Offline Rumbaar

• Future Fight
  • Inherent Omniscience
    • rumbaar.net
Why go VIP?
« on: January 05, 2010, 10:09:47 AM »
A copy of a thread I created on the official forum, thought might want to share here too:
http://forums.ddo.com/showthread.php?p=2624948

New to DDO, loving it so far.  by far the best MMO I've played so far that I've enjoyed.  The new Free to play model has it's benefits that's for sure.  There is so much contents you can play without spending a cent, which is great unto itself.

But it does offer you the chance to invest money to make the experience even better.  I've gone down the premium model as it allows you to effective outlay a 'purchase' price for the MMO and thus play it as a 'normal' PC purchased game from then on.

If talk bores you, skip to the math below.  Most games I play, I play for a long time.  The last MMO I played I was in [involved, still run one of the lasting community fan sites] from BETA to it's shutdown (~5 years) {Matrix Online} so I'm usually in for a long time.

With that in mind, why would you ever go VIP?  You don't 'own' your content, you only lease it while you pay monthly fees and you can't purchase things that you are currently 'leasing' or thus prepare for any down time.  Not sure if the missing monthly Turbine Points are still an issue, but that's a negative selling point.

Now for the cost of less than a years VIP membership and a 'little' work you can 'own' all your content for the life of the game.  You take a month off, come back it's still there.  Take 3 months off and come back, still there.  You get the idea.
___________________ ___________________ _________
12 month VIP membership = $143.40US

Recent sales and purchases of Turbine Points
3300 @ $35.09US [-10% at the time]
5000 @ $49.99US
3525 @ $38.99US

Total points = 11825 base TP for $124.07

Count on at least one main server gaining 1750+ favour for at least one character = 600+ TP
Now the little work part, but easy to do, 100+ favour on all other other servers = 750+ TP

Grand Total of 13175 Turbine Points
___________________ ___________________ _________
Now to spend, now it's important you wait for the -20% deals.  These happen often enough. Currently I'm only missing [5] quests.

Purchase all current [as of December 2009] quests @ -20% = 8912
32 pt build @ -20% = 1196
Shared bank @ -20% = 1196
Monk Class @ -20% = 636
Favored Soul @ -20% = 636
Warforged @ -20% = 476

Total spend = (13052)

So you have 13175 - (13052) = 123 surplus.

Now I don't factor in Drow as if you've got 32pt build it's a waste and well easy enough to unlock on each server if the desire is there.  You can hold off on the various classes like Favored Soul & Warforged until the favour can be acquired farmed.

But you end up will all main contents and classes for less than a years worth of membership fees and you even can leave the game knowing the contents will be there when/if you come back.  It's also good to have a goal in the form of favor point targets or TP acquisitions.

Of course with all the extra contents you have across all servers your favor points will further advance and offer more optional purchases as you play on alternate servers more and more (possibly).

This has been my experience and thoughts on the business model employed by Turbine.  For some out-laying or waiting might not be an option, but I feel if you're going to be playing the game for more than a year then it's the best way to go.

But I'd like to hear other people thoughts and experiences, specially any VIP's.  Am I missing out on anything going down this path?  Do the 500 TP monthly points most VIP's get, get wasted on throw away items?

After this I've since bought more TP and bought more account options, Veteran status and +1 Character slot.

Offline donsteeves

• Dungeons & Dragons
Re: Why go VIP?
« Reply #1 on: January 05, 2010, 10:43:30 AM »
I played the first month, back in Ocober, as FTP. I liked the game, and spent some money on turbine points. Not all my early purchases were wise, I admit. I think my first purchase was a +1 plate. How dumb is that?  Not too pleased with myself about buying a drow option either. I didn't understand favour at the time. Not everything in the store is a good deal. I went to VIP in late October, I believe. I like the convenience of it. Like you, I expect to play this game for a long time. It's nice to be able to just play any mod I want without worrying about it. 10 characters per server is more than any player will ever need.

The turbine points, I am saving up. Purchases I liked include the 32 point build, and a huge collectible bag. I transfer all that stuff to one character whenever I see my inventory beginning to clog up. I haven't bothered with the gem bags or ingredients bags. The freebies you get in the game are good enough. I bought a +1 supreme tome for donroy, but in retrospect, I think that is not really necessary for a successful character. Also, since they don't stack, why not wait till the character is high enough level to buy the best one? I've also bought a few res cakes, just to get through a quest. I'm going to let the turbine points build up for now, and watch for sales. Be more picky, if you know what I mean.

Offline Rumbaar

• Future Fight
  • Inherent Omniscience
    • rumbaar.net
« Reply #2 on: January 05, 2010, 02:42:46 PM »
Just remember Don, as a VIP some items aren't available to be purchased if you already have them.  So some sale items you might not be able to purchase, ie quest and such.  But if you're VIP you don't really need too.  I too was tempted to get a +1/+2 Supreme Tome for Eldraine, but the fact it's a single character use item I can't justify the expense/waste on him.  All the stuff I've gotten are global things [except for guild charter].

As for missing L8-L11 quests, Hakuba you're only missing one quest in that range now.  You have 3 others that you have in that range, so not sure what you are missing there, or gaining if getting VIP.  But each their own of course.

Offline Rumbaar

• Future Fight
  • Inherent Omniscience
    • rumbaar.net
« Reply #3 on: January 05, 2010, 02:56:55 PM »
You should have

Restless Isles Adventure Pack      480 Points   600 Points -20% Level Usable: 9+
Three-Barrel Cove Adventure Pack   520.0 Points   650 Points -20% Level Usable: 5+
The Ruins of Threnal Adventure Pack   440 Points   550 Points -20% Level Usable: 8+
Devil Assault Dungeon Adventure Pack   120 Points   150 Points -20% Level Usable: 6+
Necropolis Adventure Pack Part I    200 Points   250 Points -20% Level Usable: 5+
Necropolis Adventure Pack Part II    280 Points   350 Points -20% Level Usable: 8+
The Demon Sands Adventure Pack   680.0 Points   850 Points -20% Level Usable: 10+

But missing:
Sorrowdusk Isle Adventure Pack    xxx Points   400 Points -xx% Level Usable: 6+
The Vault of Night Adventure Pack    xxx Points   800 Points -xx% Level Usable: 8+

Offline Rumbaar

• Future Fight
  • Inherent Omniscience
    • rumbaar.net
« Reply #4 on: January 05, 2010, 03:17:40 PM »
Fair enough probably why it's worth so much, must have a lot more quests in the Vault of Night one then.